Wednesday, September 7, 2011

High School drama

Remember the days. First day of freshman year. Four years of possibility laid out in front of you. You walk through the halls unsure unaware if you'd find acceptance or be relegated to the outskirts the outside looking in at all the kids who you had wished you would become.


Walking from your home room to algebra you saw something very intriguing in the hall. It was your ultimate fear placed on poster board the BACK to SCHOOL dance was fast approaching. Every one in school would be attending and you couldn't afford to miss it, but should you actually brave the crowd and go? First High School dance the ultimate fork in the road of our early teens. That dance can lead to utter humiliation ultimate elation or there is always the third option. A humdrum night which means you may just live the under the radar life for the following four years. I sadly had the third, which is neither bad nor good it is what it is.
1995 freshman year De La Salle high school. Me and a jr high friend attend the dance together which I still don't understand why I mean I guess she was being my pity date, but how is it pity if I didn't even like her like that? Anyway we arrive separately take like 1 picture she goes off with her girls I go off with my homies and I don't remember us spending another moment together for the rest of the night. The only thing I remember positive about the night is one of the cooler guys from my class was so jealous I was going with her. He thought she was hot so in his eyes I was the man, which is a feeling I've never had before and I must say I enjoyed it. So I must say thanks to Katy for giving that one brief moment of coolness, trust me it was never felt again in the next four years. Who knows if I had stayed in DLS I might have achieved that level of greatness again but my evil parental units snatched me away after one year and shipped me off to craptastic Bishop O'Dowd (not a bad school, but anytime you enter a new school sophomore year and not knowing a single soul you are destined to have horrible memories of the place).
Now O'Dowd may have been better remembered if I had been better at reading women. Not knowing a soul I had a very cute classmate basically begging me to attend the very same start of the year dance I had no problem attending my freshman year, but this was a new school with new kids and I was so far on the outside and completely oblivious to the fact the girl obviously liked me I just didn't bother to go. Of course this blew my shot at an early high school relationship (which are so key to dating life survival) and somewhat tainted the only friendship I had formed at the moment. Let's just say the remaining three years becoming a blur of blown opportunities and other random anomalies. So ya see kids that first dance can set up so much more then learning how to cope in the crowd, it really is important to prepare you for the years ahead. Trust Frosh & Soph years are so important to establish early successes or you will be in for a world full of pain.
After relieving these memories I can only say one thing.
THANK GOD I'M 30!

- a look inside the mind of D -

No comments: