Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bad medicine

Talking with my wife got me thinking. I understand the medical system is flawed due to greed and/or stupidity, but how is it the FDA approves drugs to hit the market that side effects are worse then the problems they are trying to solve.


I mean really think about it. The other day, while watching commercials, I realized how bad some of these side effects could really be. Now we all know the ridiculousness of depression medicines giving you suicidal thoughts, thus defeating the purpose. That being said, have you heard of the medicines for digestion giving you diarrhea and/or constipation? I don't know about you but that sounds like you still have digestion issues. The newest one I heard yesterday was a drug used to assist the depression medicine you are already using, ya know just in case you still feel depressed. So this drug has common side effects like dry mouth, headaches, sore throat stuff, but the last two side effects named kind of blew my mind. This drug, that is supposed to cover up for the fact your other drug isn't working, has side effects including HIGH BLOOD SUGAR and LOW WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT. Think about that for a second, they are asking you to take a medicine that's side effects are equal to symptoms you get from having Diabetes and AIDS. I don't know about you, but those side effects alone would cause my depression to worsen for sure.
So I ask anyone out there reading this, why do we allow our doctors to prescribe us things that will force us to return to them for another prescription and more money out of our pockets? This shit is getting ridiculous. I for one am tired of taking a drug for my lifelong high blood pressure that could possibly cause me kidney failure if I don't go to the doctor every six month to make sure I'm not killing myself. It's an outright crazy situation. Hell, my diabetes medicine can lead to extremely LOW blood sugar. Yeah that's right to cure my Diabetes they are willing to give me anemia. Yeah I'll either die of a STROKE if I don't take them or I slip into a COMA if I do. I'm sick of this system and I hope some real change will come in my lifetime so we all could lead happier healthier and wealthier lives.
- a look inside the mind of D -

No comments: