Sunday, July 5, 2009

Rest In Peace

This has been a sad few weeks full of death and tragedies. Every time you pick up a paper(not that anyone does that anymore) or turn on the news or check your twitter page there is another dead celebrity or fatal accident taking place. It saddens me on a few different levels, not just the fact that another life was lost, but also the fact that it forces me hell all of us to face our own mortality. As much as the death of the original MJ was a shock and truly sadden me nothing could prepare me for the MURDER of Steve "Air" McNair. McNair was one of those amazing athletes that made you realize talent and skill can come from anywhere. To this day he still holds records in division I-AA football. He was one of the black QBs that made even the harshest stand up and take notice that a black man can be a success under center without just being a flashy gimmick a la Kordell "Slash" Stewart or a runner a la Randall Cunningham. McNair truly was an all around talent and though his career had long ended (well not that long he retired after the 07 season), he still did humanitarian works to make a difference in his community. This was a man to be admired but know that he's been taken away from the world a lot of murky details of his life are being pushed to the forefront. Now is it just me or does it seem after the angel of death has kindly removed you from the hell that is LIFE on EARTH all your secrets find their way out into the public. I don't know about you my kind hearted readers, but I would hate for any and every skeleton that's been stashed deep inside my closet; I'm talking way in the back behind the shame of a first kiss gone wrong and next to a premature ejaculation setting a la American Pie; to be presented to the public as if that's what I would want to be remembered by. America is a sad place for how we treat those we deem CELEBRITIES especially how we feel the need to invade every part of their lives especially after they are dead. It's bad enough that over the course of the last week I've heard every possible fucked up story about Michael Jackson and his kids and his money and all the other things he was barely able to keep private while living, but now I have all this horrible news about McNair and his after hour activities so to speak. Thanks to his murder apparently at the hands of his 20 year old lover I now know this revered humanitarian sports hero was cheating on his wife betraying his 4 sons and been doing so for awhile. Also he seems to have been associated with some shady people; all I know is if i walk into the condo i co-own with a buddy (don't get me started on two grown mean sharing a booty shack/non-bachelor bachelor pad together) and find said buddy bloody on the living room sofa with the girl he's been seeing bleeding from the head I'm not going to call our OTHER friend to see what should be done. Now I know I've never been in the situation and I know our bodies and minds go through shock when confronted by such an extreme scene, but i think by reflex I'd dial 911 I mean COME ON what the hell was that about.
Well I don't have any kind way to close this out like in life this post comes with no happy endings all I can say is its been a hard few weeks full of sadness and loss I feel for all that have pasts family and loved ones. Also as a friend of so many Disneyheads i can't not mention the Disneyworld tragedy and send out my condolences for the loss of the Disney family as well as the conductors family. Mind blowing few days I tell you absolutely mind blowing.

No comments: