Friday, August 14, 2009

Better suited for the sports blog...

but this has less to do with my NFL feelings and more to do with my simple feelings as a fan. I want to be outraged that my team signed a QB when they seemed to finally have the whole QB position hemmed up. After last season's contract extension it had seemed the Eagle management finally had regained their faith in McNabb but now the questions have arisen again. The thing that makes this the most difficult is that according to reports McNabb had a hand in the Vick signing. Now I understand he is all about winning and doing what's best for the team, but McNabb has to realize there is no point to bring in a talent as big as Vick to think he will forever sit on the bench behind you. Presumably they signed him as a 3 stringer (sorry AJ), but its clear that Kevin Kolb's injury must be worse then first let on because he was the established back up and seemingly the QB of the future since McNabb only seems to have 2 or 3 years left in him due to all the injuries (Hell if they had won the Superbowl last year I don't think Donovan would have returned this season). What truly stings about the situation is I was one of the most vocal for giving Vick a second chance, but I never expected him to show up on my teams roster thus stirring shit up.
Another big issue I have with the whole thing is the assumption that Vick is now expected to be Philly's QB of the future. Did we all forget Vick was never seen as a truly great QB. He's an amazing athlete, a superb runner, and posses a wicked strong arm; but he never showed an in pocket prowess or the field general mentality that the Eagles have come to demand of McNabb. We don't need a run first pass later QB if we have Westbrook in the backfield. So with this signing it seems maybe the Eagles are questioning McNabb for the long haul, but more then likely questioning the strength of Westbrook as a long term solution. All I know is I'm very interested to see where this signing is going to take my team and if this is the weird kick they need to finally make it to and win this year's championship.

No comments: